The very first thing we ask homeowners who are weighing the options between a backyard fire pit and a fireplace is, “How do you plan to use it?” The answer to that question helps narrow down the best choice for your yard and your family. While there are similarities between these two fire features, there is an overall different “experience” that each provides.
As you try to narrow it down, consider these important points about a fire pit vs. fireplace.
- You sit primarily in front of it as opposed to around it.
- It makes a more elegant architectural statement on your property.
- The smoke is directed up and out of a chimney.
- It takes up less space on your patio as it can be built on the edge.
- It can be a part of a pavilion, above which a tv screen can be mounted.
- If a part of a pavilion, the fireplace can be enjoyed even in rainy weather.
Outdoor Fire Pit
- Seating is available all around it, therefore it’s often thought of as being more interactive.
- You can move completely around most fire pits, like a campfire.
The Experience of a Fire Pit vs. a Fireplace
When you think of a fire feature on your property, are you thinking about roasting s’mores, gathering around it, and having more of an “interactive experience?” If you are looking for a very interactive fire feature then a fire pit might be the right choice for you. It tends to be a good fit for families with children who envision themselves spending a lot of time around the fire.
If you’re thinking more about a fire feature in terms of ambiance then perhaps an outdoor fireplace is actually the better choice for you. A fireplace isn’t quite the same interactive experience as the open fire of a fire pit, but it still gives you heat and ambiance. As mentioned in our list above, it also has a sense of elegance to it. An outdoor fireplace is often built as part of the structure of a pavilion and is ideal for creating a seating area with a mounted television screen.
Need a Little Help?
If you’re considering adding a fire pit or fire place to your home’s exterior and think you’ve found a plan to follow, come to The Rock Place. We’ll help you choose the right style, size, and amount of stone required for your project. You’re welcome to call us at (615) 459-9200 with questions or just come by 475 Wade Herrod Rd in Smyrna to see our many options.